Sunday, January 27, 2013

Stuff I am working on...

I'm currently putting together a few ideas for the shotgun videos.   Several people have suggested wooden slugs.  I purchased some 5/8" (15mm)  wooden dowel and am fabricating a handful of wooden darts.  These are 2½" long.   Any longer and they would be hard to load into the pump shotgun.

In order to try to stabilize them so they fly straight,   I put folding fins on them and weighted the noses with lead shot.  They are huge but weigh less than half an ounce.  

Another load I put together are Nerf darts.   I have doubts they will work.   In order to strengthen them,  I reinforced them and put some lead shot inside to balance them,  similar to the wood darts.   

Finally,   I am revisiting hot glue slugs.  I am using Federal birdshot loads this time and these have a 2 piece wadding.   The glue/leadshot slug will adhere to the shot cup but there will be no trailing wadding which should eliminate the weird "wagging" issue.   I am putting lengths of thread to trail behind them to see if that will stabilize them.   It's more of a gimmick but it may prove interesting.   
-

Ammo situation.
I went to our local Walmart today to see what the ammo shelf looked like and it was even worse than it was a few weeks ago.   Another shopper said it looked like Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard.   I was hoping to get 100 rounds of 12ga  but they had none.    They did have a lot of 20ga shells though.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if it is possible to shoot tanerite through a shotgun, and would it explode when it hits its target ? thanks , you guys are great !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has anyone ever dimpled a round shotgun slug like a golf ball? I would like to see if it improved the trajectory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried combing your shotgunning and mercury hobbies? I can't really think of a good way to do it off the top of my head, but maybe something like wax slugs using medicine gel caps filled with mercury? I would imagine the transfer of energy could be tremendous.

    Keep it up!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete